June 16th, 2024 | 1:27

Bizkaia

Fire in a Chinese restaurant in Deusto with 3 intoxicated

Laura Rangel Ybarra

July 13, 2023 | 1:00 p.m.

Incident in a Chinese restaurant in the Bilbao neighborhood of Deusto

Un fire registered on the afternoon of this Wednesday in a Chinese restaurant located in the Bilbao neighborhood of Deusto has left as balance three people intoxicated by smoke inhalation, including two Ertzaintza agents. The event It took place around half past five in the afternoon in the restaurant's kitchen, generating a dense smoke that forced the rapid action of the emergency services.

Eviction and confinement of houses

The restaurant, located on Heliodoro de la Torre street, is surrounded by houses. The strong smoke forced the evacuation of the neighbors of the flats directly above the premises, as well as to confinement in other adjacent dwellings. The highly toxic smoke posed a considerable danger to area residents.

Action of the Ertzaintza and health services

Agents of the Municipal Police and the Ertzaintza went to the scene and tried, with fire extinguishers, to put out the flames before the arrival of the firefighters. In the work of extinction, two ertzainas were poisoned by smoke inhalation. Both were transferred to the Basurto hospital, one by their own means and the other by ambulance. A third person, also affected by the smoke, was also taken to the same health center.

Fire extinguished, cleanup work continues

Firefighters managed to extinguish the fire which, despite being contained in the restaurant's kitchen, caused considerable damage to the premises. At seven in the evening, the teams were still working on the site, performing ventilation work to expel smoke accumulated in the premises and nearby homes.

This incident once again highlights the importance of maintaining security measures in hotel establishments and highlights the valuable work of the emergency services in Bizkaia, always ready to act in the event of any eventuality to guarantee the safety of citizens.

More news